Saw this on opal_kitten
's LJ and thought it might be interesting. The rules are as follows: leave me a comment telling me you’d like to have your brain picked and I’ll choose 7 of the interests listed on your profile for you to explain. These were opal_kitten
- This country continent has been an endless source of fascination for me since I was a kid and I found out they have cool things like kangaroos, the platypus, and the Great Barrier Reef. Thanks to the US Navy, I got the opportunity to travel there twice - once while assigned to a ship (we anchored off Fremantle/Perth, in Western Australia, for 4 days), the other time on my own (while stationed in Hawaii), during which I traveled to as many different places as I could cram into 4.5 weeks, including several days of diving on the reef. Beautiful, amazing place.
- I find it highly amusing that most of the women I hang out with on a regular basis wouldn't be caught dead camping unless the tent had room service and a jacuzzi. I've been camping in one form or another since I was little, thanks to parents who enjoyed it.
3. Highland Dancing
- I saw my first highland dancers when I was about 7 years old, while attending the Highland Games at Castle Hill in Ipswich, MA. I always loved to watch the dancing, and I'm not sure why I never thought to ask about taking lessons. Fast forward to the year 2004 or 2005. I was perusing the local free paper from Fredericksburg and I saw an ad for the Rec Center - Highland Dance for Fitness. After making some inquires, I signed up, and I've been going ever since. I love it - it's fun, a great workout, and it's a bit of my ancestral culture that I can really dive into.
4. Marine Conservation
- Ever watch "The Undersea World of Jacques-Yves Cousteau"? It was one of my favorite shows when I was growing up. Jacques was my idol, and I even got to meet him when I was about 9 years old. I've always loved the ocean and everything about it, and learning how to use the resources it offers properly is something I really enjoy doing.
- Ancestors on both sides of my family came from Scotland. My grandparents took me to Great Britain for 3 weeks when I was 15. We spent 2 weeks on a tour bus, which led to my avoiding bus tours lasting longer than 2 days for all my future travels. We spent lots of time in cathedrals and castles, but only stopped on the side of the road for 5 minutes at Loch Ness. I'll be staying in Drumnadrochit for 2 nights - my lodging is walking distance from the ruins of Urquhart Castle, which still stand overlooking the loch. I'll be bringing a photo of my grandparents with me, so they can come on this trip in spirit.
- A strange obsession with patterned papers and unusual ways to use them. I got the great idea to make a scrapbook to document the process of my house being built. That was in late 2002-early 03. Things just snowballed from there, and I now work p/t in a scrapbook store to support the habit. :)
- I come by my wanderlust tendencies naturally. BOTH sides of my family enjoy traveling, and I've been the incredibly fortunate companion on many trips, both domestic and foreign. I enjoy it so much that it never mattered to me where my Navy ship went, I just wanted to know when we were going, and for how long. I've gotten to see places and do things that a lot of people only dream of, and I am so grateful for those opportunities. I have an ongoing list of other places I need to go, so I will always have something to look forward to in the future.